Thứ Ba, 26 tháng 11, 2019

Is This the New Marble?

Santa Monica Proper Luxury Boutique Hotel By Kelly Wearstler Yellowtrace 02
2019 design trend
Design by Kelly Wrestler | Photo by The Ingalls | via Yellowtrace

In today’s edition of “Arlyn, I think *this* is a thing now” and Arlyn giving me a kind but deliberate “prove it” look,” I am talking about… travertine. Now, for some reason when I hear that word, I instantly think, “nope. Not for me.” Maybe it’s because it was so overused in the early to mid-2000s? Maybe it’s too beige (and historically not the good kind)? Regardless, I didn’t have a clear enough reason for why I felt this way. In an effort to help me figure out my personal dislike of the material, I took it to the streets. And by streets, I mean, the office. I took a poll at work and asked what was the first thing that came to mind when I said travertine. Words like suburban, McMansion and faux rustic summed up all of the responses. And that was exactly it. So many homes have used it an effort to look “expensive” or to make their new build feel like a “Tuscan villa.” It felt showy and not special…until now. Example A (shown above): The dining table in the new Kelly Wearstler-designed Proper Hotel in Santa Monica, California. Hi beautiful. 😉

2019 design trend
Design by Pampa | Via Sight Unseen

Now this was the first photo (above) I saw that made me think, “huh, is travertine A THING that the cool kids are using now?” The answer over a short period of time became yes. I started seeing it a ton. I dare you to look at an international (definitely Australian) interiors site and not spot some cool travertine moments.

2019 design trend
Design by Golden | Photo by Sharyn Cairns | Via Yellowtrace

What I think has made me ease into kinda loving this “suburban co-opted” stone is that many artists and designers are using it sparingly. Take this incredible console above for instance. It’s not being used everywhere in the home. Just one awesome feature. Even Sarah Sherman Samuel used it for one of her fireplace surrounds in her stunning new home.

2019 design trend
Design by Rodolphe Parente | Photo by Claire Israel | Via Yellowtrace

What I also love that is happening, is that raw/rough travertine is being used as an accent like the walls in this Rodolphe Parente design. Granted, it’s probably not a material for the average person’s home but it really helps to give a very quiet but powerful texture in an already ultra-cool and colorful room.

2019 design trend
Left: Design by Alexis Brown and Elizabeth Roberts | Photo by Floto+Warner | Via Architectural Digest | Right: Design by Ken Fulk and Victor Legorreta | Photo by Douglas Friedman | Via Architectural Digest

No, typically I’m not a huge fan of the whole room look BUT these two beauties are where I say, “hell, yes” to travertine being used in a larger scale. Why? These two bathrooms have a much lighter and softer patterned stone. They look like art that greets you with a polite “hello and yes I know I’m beautiful,” as opposed to, “HEY I’M HERE.”

2019 design trend
Top Right to Left Clockwise: Side Table | Accent TableLight | Objects | Dining Table | Console

If you need more proof that travertine is happening and very cool, feast your eyes on six beautiful photos of products that are on the market. If you are thinking that dining table looks like it’s from Anthropologie…it is and it’s awesome. My favorite, of course, is that heart-stopping side table that I will own once I make millions of dollars. Mark. my. words. I think one of those very chic objects will suffice for now. 🙂

2019 design trend
Design by Groupwork | Photo by Timothy Soar | Via Yellowtrace

So here I leave you with one of the most gorgeous travertine staircases I’ve ever seen. Consider it a mic drop on this conversion.

Expect wait! Just kidding. I’m passing the mic to you. I want to hear your thoughts. Have you always loved travertine and are happy to see its new and improved look? Would you ever use it in your home? Do you think this 2019 design trend has 2020 lasting power? Let’s talk.

Love you, mean it.

The post Is This the New Marble? appeared first on Emily Henderson.


Sofa giá rẻ
https://sofagiarehcm.hatenablog.com
0975488488
981 Huỳnh Tấn Phát, P. Phú Thuận, Quận 7, TP Hồ Chí Minh
Sofa giá rẻ

Không có nhận xét nào:

Đăng nhận xét