Thứ Hai, 27 tháng 4, 2020

The Practical (But Less Stylish) Things We Are Opting for Right Now

This post will garner some eye-rolls, as it should. But if you are here it’s probably because you, too, care about style and aesthetics and get joy from, say, the FRONCH washed linen shibori tea towel. No one is more of a perpetrator of “the love of the beautiful” more than stylists, truly. Although I have to defend myself and say I’ve gotten highly more practical over the years. In the last few weeks I’ve been taking note of the more beautiful things I’m opting away from, and the more practical version that my hand is grabbing for more often. Here’s what those things are.

But first here’s a video so you can seem them in action (just need to wait for the ad to play first:))…

THE CUTTING BOARD

The cutting board. We have so many pretty wood boards, the vintage french board, the walnut cheese board with the leather handle, or the simple carved round loop. But I think subconsciously don’t want to scratch them up (what will my guests!!?? think?). So last year I bought a pretty high-quality butcher block – a classic, never-go-out-of-style-board and I thought I would leave it on the counter all day as the sandwich making, lemon cutting day-to-day go-to. And while I love it, it’s super heavy and annoying to wash, so every time I go to chop anything all I want to use is THIS. And so does Brian. It’s extremely lightweight but durable. When it’s cut on it doesn’t look scratched up and the black really works in our kitchen so it’s not like it stands out (I like the black so much more than the one that is trying to look like wood, by the way).

OUR FAMILY BLANKET

Next up. Stylists love a blanket or throw and generally I have a lot – over the backs of sofas, draping over a chair but the one one that my family wants to snuggle with (and is big enough for us all while we watch Nailed It) is this one.

OUR LIGHTWEIGHT DISHES

You know what else we typically love? Super heavy handmade rustic-ass plates and serving bowls. I really do. But right now because of the sheer volume of meals and dishes (3 x 4 = 12) I’m so glad that I have these thin, light, hard to break plates. The kids can set the table very easily because they are so light. And while I did bring my pretty heavy pottery Heath serving bowls up here (the ones I’ll hand down to my kids and will forever use for dinner parties or special occasions), I just use these for everything every day.

A PRACTICAL FLUFFY BATHMAT

Now even I’m too practical for a white linen or cotton bath mat (maybe in my guest room). I have some that we put in a locked closet for “shoots” but I didn’t want to ruin them by actually using them, imagine that. But I’m dying for a fluffy big even dare I say suburban-style bath mat, one that I can wash in the washing machine. The kids bathe in our bathroom with our black floors. So while the sheepskin we had there looks great in photos, I’m going to buy this one now that we are using this tub so much (currently I lay down a towel every night before they get out). FYI I’ve seen this mat in person many times and she’s fluffy and cozy and washable and not precious at all.

THE DISHTOWELS

I guess the “dish towels” that I bought for up here technically might be linen napkins and Brian Henderson is not happy. We have two good drying rags and he wants more. I guess the ones that really dry things well are thinner (goes against any logic) and I think there is a thing about them needing to be washed a few times to really get absorbant. I couldn’t find the exact old rags that he is so drawn to, but I found these that look like classic dish towels.

DRINKING GLASSES

Oh, we all love a Marta glass – that thin straight glass that I’ve used in no joke 50-60 shoots. It’s affordable and lovely to drink cocktails out of. It does, however, break SO EASILY (we are down to 3) so instead, I’m opting for thicker glass. The ones we have a good, but I’m thinking about ordering some good old fashion pint glasses for water. I like this whole set a whole lot and $39.99 for 18 glasses looks good. Hoping they are durable.

I’m telling you, it’s a new Emily that is being born and I like her. But don’t worry my love for truly beautiful things will NEVER disappear:) Have you guys also made some practicality switches or did you always know the secret. Also if you have any other recs please let me know in the comments xx

The post The Practical (But Less Stylish) Things We Are Opting for Right Now appeared first on Emily Henderson.


Sofa giá rẻ
https://sofagiarehcm.hatenablog.com
0975488488
981 Huỳnh Tấn Phát, P. Phú Thuận, Quận 7, TP Hồ Chí Minh
Sofa giá rẻ

Không có nhận xét nào:

Đăng nhận xét