Thứ Năm, 27 tháng 8, 2020

Budget Basement Bathroom – The One Where We Tried To Not Spend Money… (And Now You Know Why)

Sure, we started designing the bathroom years ago (like 2) but it shifted down and down the priority list and I was willing to spend less and less on it even before we decided to move and sell the house. When the pandemic hit I was like, “Let’s just do it. We’ll make it cute for cheap and besides, eventually we’ll need to…. for resale”. Brian and I found ourselves saying “….for resale” more often than we thought (which tipped us off to the idea that maybe we were ready to move). Regardless it had been demo’d out for months and it was time to finish this sucker off. Here’s the full story if you missed it.

We needed to change out the vanity, lay flooring, paint, and then just see what some good old fashioned decorating could do (with stuff I already had). And hopefully all without spending too much money.

We put down the new Cali Bamboo waterproof flooring (same as the bedroom/office), waterproof baseboard, painted the walls in a warm denim-y blue (Good Jeans by Clare Paint), took off the glass door, switched out the faucets and replaced the vanity. I guess that is more than I thought, but the point is no tile installed, we didn’t TOUCH the vinyl shower surround but its white and TOTALLY FINE. We also didn’t do anything with the recessed cubbies and then just decorated it all cute. And yes, we used the same toilet. It’s ok guys, this is the basement bathroom… it just wasn’t worth the $400 to us because even before we decided to sell, it was just Brian using this space if that. That guy doesn’t give a crap about toilets if you know what I mean.

For all of you who are wondering, the vanity sits on top of the motor for the sump pump that you can access through the cabinet although my handyman who installed it didn’t totally understand that we wanted him to cut out the bottom so that still needs to be done.

The vanity is pretty great for how inexpensive it is ($260 including the countertop). Now I never saw the paint color or the vanity in-person before they were totally done (covid designing!) and I might have gone with the white vanity had I seen them together, but everybody thinks I’m crazy.

It actually looks great here!!! That’s a better representation of the wall color, but when the light is on its brighter.

The great thing about Clare paint is that they send you large stickers of paint swatches that you can stick on your wall instead of tiny paint samples that you have to paint (DUH … SO SMART, NICOLE!). The vintage art and mirror are coming with me and yes, you bet that I should have switched out the outlet cover for a black or bronze one – OH WELL. PANDEMIC STYLING AND PHOTOSHOPPING. Sure, we left the outlet, but that little lamp on mister’s head is a clip light that yes, has a cord but it didn’t work anyway so we photoshopped it out because I really just wanted that in there to add quirk. Thank you for understanding why I cheat sometimes:) Technically there could be an outlet behind the piece of art so I’ll stick with that story.

Like I said that vintage mirror is coming with me. The faucet (sink and shower) were both super affordable and pretty great for the price.

I bought that vintage towel hook on Etsy, and already had everything else (the footed pot is from Jonathan Adler, I believe).

NOW. The one thing that was supposed to happen that didn’t was the baseboard and the cubbies were supposed to be painted the blue to keep it more tonal and modern. My guy didn’t get that note and we showed up the night before to style and shoot. Brian disagreed and said it should stay white and I wasn’t in the mood to push back, and I was ready to shoot it.

So I thought it would be fun to show you what it would look like IF the whole room was painted the Good Jeans blue that I had wanted. Again, not a big deal and not worth changing, but I just want you guys to know the intent 🙂 So here you go – the photoshopped version of the bathroom as originally intended.

Huh. I think Brian was actually right and it might be better with the white baseboards – or at least just as good. I just realized that all the dark moody bathrooms that I loved, the photos have never showed a bright white toilet OR a vinyl “tile” surround, so I actually think the white ties it together better.

I wish I had tallied it all up, but I can’t imagine we spent more than $3k including labor. It was all kinda tied with the basement bedroom as well as some painting upstairs, and my handyman doesn’t itemize for this kind of stuff, so I’m not totally sure. But the materials were affordable and the labor was under a week so I think we succeeded it making it “cute” and affordable and yet WILDLY better. If you didn’t see the basement reveal head over here to see how the rooms tie together. xx

In case you missed any of the other reveals so far check them out: The Living Room | The Kid’s Shared Bedroom | The Basement Guestroom/Office | Elliot’s Room | Kitchen and Dining Room

**Reveal Photos by Sara Ligorria-Tramp

The post Budget Basement Bathroom – The One Where We Tried To Not Spend Money… (And Now You Know Why) appeared first on Emily Henderson.


Sofa giá rẻ
https://sofagiarehcm.hatenablog.com
0975488488
981 Huỳnh Tấn Phát, P. Phú Thuận, Quận 7, TP Hồ Chí Minh
Sofa giá rẻ

Không có nhận xét nào:

Đăng nhận xét