Thứ Bảy, 15 tháng 8, 2020

The “Clench Your Chest” Romantic Movie List We All Need Right Now And Why

This year has been everything from heartbreaking, to scary, to stress/anxiety-including, to a call to reprioritizing, to a long-overdue awakening, etc etc. You name it, 2020 has brought it with a vengeance. I think that when we take necessary breaks from facing the important realities of this time it’s easy to just go temporarily numb. Maybe that’s just me but likely not. And while I never lose sight of my extreme privileges, I tend to forget to remind myself of all the really beautiful parts of life. Autopilot if you will. But honestly, my imagination can feel like a dangerous thing. Like there’s a warning sign that goes off in my head that too much optimism will lead to inevitable heartache. However, a couple of weeks ago I was watching something (and for the life of me I can’t remember what it was) and it hit me in a way that the light, happy comedies I otherwise consume, hadn’t. It was a real, true, and beautiful love story. I was overcome with a very welcomed happy cry that reminded me in a visceral way that those parts of life are crucial to be reminded of. Those “clench-your-chest-you-are-feeling-so-many happy-feelings” kind of stories. So I thought why not rally the team to put together a list of movies that have done that for us. Emily (the true romance movie expert) had SO MANY incredible recs that I hadn’t heard of but after watching the trailers (many of which took my breath away) now NEED to watch.

Ok, my emotional dissertation is over and now we can focus on some movies that are going to get you in touch with that pretty special part of being human…LOVE (or even just some straight-up lust;)). It’s honest to goodness emotional medicine, I promise.

So since there are SO many, I have linked the titles to their trailers for you to get a taste if you haven’t seen it before. Also, some of these movies could work in more than one category but for post length purposes, we decided to stick to only one per movie (I know it’s cruel). All I have to say is get ready for your movie list to get very long!

Emily’s Picks

Shakespeare in Love Titanic
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind The Notebook
Brokeback Mountain Romeo + Juliet
How to Lose a Guy In 10 Days

The Team’s Picks (With Some Endorsements to Emily’s:))

Romeo + Juliet

If you want to cry your eyes out, while also simultaneously feeling super swept up in a cinematic romance may I please recommend Baz Luhrmann’s Romeo + Juliet. Added motivation? Young Leonardo DiCaprio and Claire Danes. That is all. – Sara

Garden State

I saw this movie when I was 16 (I honestly had to use a “How Old Was I When” calculator for this. My brain is deteriorating.) Anyway, I felt changed by this movie and the sweet chemistry between Zach Braff and Natalie Portman still makes my heart burst. Ugh and the airport scene. Go watch now. – Jess

Sleepless In Seattle

Empire State Building scene. What’s more iconic than that? Oh, the fact that it’s with Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan:) – Jess

Love and Basketball

This movie is all about passion and a life long love. It takes you on a rollercoaster of emotions. It’s sweet, heartbreaking, maddening, and joyous (plus pretty sexy). If you’ve never seen it do yourself a favor and watch it this weekend because it’s absolutely a classic. – Jess

When Harry Met Sally

This movie is so iconic and all-around amazing and if you haven’t seen it (or if it’s been a while) I HIGHLY recommend you give it a rewatch. It will make you feel unbelievably good and also will make you want to marry your best friend. Enjoy! – Mallory

You’ve Got Mail

Another Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan home run in the sweet romantic movie game. It’s pretty impossible to not feel happy after watching it. – Jess

How to Lose a Guy In 10 Days

The bathroom scene! – Jess

10 Things I Hate About You

My boy Chase is a big movie person, meaning he’s seen all the “classics” that the world has deemed legendary. Me on the other hand, well, I’ve seen movies like Mean Girls and Clueless more times than the number of years I’ve been alive. So, given that information, I have to say this movie passed the boyfriend test, meaning I made Chase watch it and HE ACTUALLY LIKED IT. That’s how you know it’s good, when people you think are not the target audience actually enjoy it. Try watching it with your S.O. or movie critic best friend bc this flick is a crowd-fricken-pleaser – Mallory

Also, Ten Things I Hate About You – Rebellious girl meets school bad boy, it’s a recipe for success. Heath Ledger and his accent make my heart beat fast, and his tender heart under all that rough persona makes me melt just thinking about it. – Sara

P.S. We all voted and this is our desert island romance. It just has it all!

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

There’s an original premise (paying to have someone erased from your mind in a medical procedure??? I don’t hate that!) and Jim Carrey is like…attractive? It’s refreshing to see him play a character that’s not centered around making faces and sounds, and obviously Kate Winslet is just SO GOOD. A classic!!! – Caitlin

Pretty Woman

Hollywood in the 80s never looked so good. Julia Roberts is an absolute vision, especially in this dress and Richard Geere is a stud. It’s pure eye candy and so sweet. – Ryann

Breakfast at Tiffany’s

The movie that made me fall in love with Audrey Hepburn and fashion for that matter (I even cut my hair into a pixie cut in high school to be more like her). The love story is wildly romantic but staring in awe at Audrey’s poise and style is my fav part. – Ryann

The Princess Bride

AHHH. AN ALL-TIME FAVORITE. Is this a kissing story? NO, tiny Fred Savage, it isn’t, and that’s why it’s so great!!! Like, yes, sure, romance is central to the plot, but there’s also adventure and action and a great supporting cast and it’s just essential viewing because it’s SO QUOTABLE. 10/10!!! – Caitlin

Emily’s Picks

Definitely, Maybe The Vow
Yesterday La La Land
Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants Before We Go 
One Day Ruby Sparks

The Team’s Picks

The Big Sick

This movie made me laugh SO hard, and then cry SO hard, and then laugh even HARDER. It was such a great film, based on Kumail Nanjiani and his wife’s own real story! I’ll also throw in The Lovebirds here, since it also has Kumail in it (alongside Issa Rae), which is more comedy than romance. But a really fun movie. – Sara

How Do You Know

Reese Witherspoon dates Owen Wilson, an asshole athlete, while Paul Rudd, a kindhearted CEO (??? A little suspension of disbelief here HAH) pines over her and deals with accusations of fraud and potential prison time. I just watched this last weekend and it’s great for turning your brain off for a second. – Caitlin

Pride & Prejudice

I have to admit, most of the romance movies I like are either teens almost kissing, or people in period costumes almost kissing. The almost kissing bit is super important – we’re talking TENSION people. Pride & Prejudice is THE classic period romance. If you don’t swoon when Matthew Macfadyen says “you have bewitched me, body and soul, and I love–I love–I love you” do YOU even have a soul???? – Sara

Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants

This is clearly a beautiful love story of friendship and sisterhood but for the purposes of this post… Kostas, Kostas, Kostas. Need I say more? – Jess

Legally Blonde

THIS IS MY DESERT ISLAND MOVIE. (The sequel is my actual favorite, but there’s less “romance” there, so we’re going to go with this one, okay?!) It has everything: an iconic lead, women helping women, perseverance, self-love messaging, Elle Woods ends up with a TRULY NICE PERSON at the end, and it passes the Bechdel test!!! It has everything I need in a film!!! – Caitlin

The Incredible Jessica James

Am I partial to the name? Sure:) But this is a love story in two parts. One with Jessica herself and one with a man. It’s empowering, sweet and it will make your day better. – Jess

The Half Of It

I LOVED THIS MOVIE. It’s not the relationship you’re expecting, but it’s the relationship you NEED. It’s light (but deep), sweet, and just makes you smile. – Sara

Plus One

Em actually recommended this in a Link Up last year and it’s SO GOOD. Maya Erskine and Jack Quaid (yes, like, the son of Dennis, just so you don’t spend half the movie being like “who does this guy remind me of???“) have such good chemistry and it’s not a super cliche storyline. Honestly, I’m not sure why this one isn’t more popular because it’s GREAT. – Caitlin

Nappily Ever After

OH MY GOSH I love a movie with a strong female lead (so much so that one of my categories on Netflix is literally “movies with a strong female lead” HAH) and this one is no exception! Basically, Sanaa Lathan ~has it all~ and is just waiting on her boyfriend to propose, but he doesn’t — so she dumps him and shaves her head. The ending is SO GOOD and definitely will scratch your “I want to see films with a successful lady in them” itch 🙂 – Caitlin

Paper Heart

I’m honestly not sure if it was ever confirmed to be a documentary, semi-documentary, or just a straight-up mockumentary but regardless it will melt your heart. Charlyne Yi (who plays herself), doesn’t really believing in the concept of love. So she goes around interviewing couples and people asking what love is to them, all the while she and real-life Michael Cera are falling for each other. – Jess

The Proposal

I’m pretty sure seeing Ryan Reynolds in this movie ignited my sexual awakening. The movie is also hilarious. That should be enough incentive to watch it – Mallory

Brown Sugar

This is also belongs in the classics category for me because look up this cast! Childhood best friends played by Taye Diggs and Sanaa Lathan, in their adulthood are finally come to terms that they are meant for each other. It’s beautiful, funny, and very sexy. Think My Best Friend’s Wedding but with the ending we all really wanted:)

The Knight Before Christmas

I know it’s August but I DON’T CARE. Vanessa Hudgens lives in an idyllic small town and falls in love with a TIME TRAVELING KNIGHT. It’s cute but also unintentionally hilarious. (My mom and I had to pause the movie because we laughed til we cried at a line that’s basically like, “he’d be perfect if he just didn’t think he was a thirteenth-century knight!!!” Like LOL THAT IS A HUGE DEALBREAKER. Anyway. It’s fun, even when it’s not Christmas.) – Caitlin

One Day

I feel like not enough people have seen this one which is a problem. It’s sad and romantic and one of those films where you just scream at the screen JUST LOVE EACH OTHER ALREADY. I also cannot get enough of the gorgeous cinematography and this shot of the most beautiful london flat. – Ryann (and Emily)

Someone Great

This is such a good modern-day movie about love and friendship and it makes me very happy. I laugh and cry and never grow tired of it. – Ryann

Hairspray

How could I not include this?? We needed at least one movie-musical (or more) on this list for obvious reasons and “without love” is so good that I just had no choice but to put this on. This deserves a rewatch if it’s been a while – Mallory

Emily’s Picks (Her Favorite Category)

Five Feet Apart The Last Song
The Fault in Our Stars Like Crazy
The Spectacular Now Love, Rosie
If I Stay Best of Me
Perks of Being a Wallflower The Sun is Also a Star
All The Bright Places Crazy Rich Asians

The Team’s Picks

To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before

It doesn’t get better than this. Everything about this movie is warm, feel-good, and butterfly inducing. – Sara

A Knight’s Tale

This movie was my introduction to Heath Ledger and I truly didn’t know what to do with myself. My mom was equally in love. His heart-melting wink would be enough but he also fights for honor and love so he’s perfect. – Jess

Moonlight

This movie won the Academy Award for Best Picture for a reason. It’s beautiful, moving, heartbreaking, and romantic all at the same time. – Sara

Save The Last Dance

This movie deals with a lot of the same issues we are dealing with today but with a beautiful love story at the center. Plus there is so much dancing which isn’t a love language category but if it were, it would absolutely be mine. – Jess

Love, Simon

TEENS ALMOST KISSING, but there’s also mystery! Drama! Comedy! This heartwarming movie is filled with totally lovable characters. – Sara

Candy Jar

Nerdy, SUPER smart teens (who have been completing their entire lives) are forced to work together. They of course fall for each other proving there is more to life than academic success. Simple but is SO SWEET. – Jess

A Cinderella Story

COME ON. This list is banger after banger, and this one also does not disappoint. Make sure you watch “a cinderella story” and not “another cinderella story” though, because if you get the wrong one it might disappoint. 10/10 – Mallory

Twilight

A guilty pleasure that I still love! You also know that Arlyn can attest if you have been watching her instastories🙂 But come on… forbidden love, Robert Pattinson, vampires (something I didn’t know I could be into until this movie) and the willingness to sacrifice everything for true love. It’s got it all and now I’ve convinced myself I need to watch it this weekend – Jess

Monsoon Wedding

This movie was so beautiful. I watched it with my mom and we both loved it. This is romance with a heavy serving of family drama on the side. – Sara

Drive Me Crazy

12-year-old Jess didn’t stand a chance when this movie came out because it had everything! Estranged boy and girl neighbors, a makeover sequence, and of course a happy ending. And honestly, 32-year-old Jess loves it just as much. – Jess

Call Me By Your Name

The coast of Italy, Army Hammer, lots of skin. DO I NEED TO SAY ANYMORE? This coming of age movie goes so much deeper than skimming the surface, all alongside a beautiful score and against a dream-like backdrop. – Sara

Emily’s Picks

Me Before You The Light Between Oceans
Blue Valentine Time Travelers Wife
P.S. I Love You Star Is Born
Dear John The Longest Ride

The Team’s Picks

Star Is Born

Another couple with intense palpable chemistry that makes you feel alive while watching. And then… the end rips your heart out and makes you believe in soulmates. – Jess

Once

This is another tear-jerker, but this time straight out of Ireland. If you’re looking for happy endings, this might not be the film for you. But if you’re looking for a raw story with wonderfully developed characters and a side of music this is it. It’s one of Mac and my favorite films, and we even saw the stage play on Broadway! – Sara

Sing Street

The last scene in this movie left me in uncontrollable happy tears. That’s all I’ll say. – Sara

A Walk To Remember

Obviously a classic and you’ve probably seen it a thousand times. The last time I watched it I cried the entire way through and it was so therapeutic. I think I might love it more than The Notebook???? – Ryann

Ok so are you crying yet? Full of hope? In the mood for love? I hope so because I sure am. We likely missed some great ones so PLEASE leave your favorite romantic movies in the comments and HAPPY FRIDAY!

Love you, mean it.

Opening Image Credit: Photo by Veronica Crawford | From: Our Bedroom Update (Also How I Feel About Having A TV In The Bedroom)

The post The “Clench Your Chest” Romantic Movie List We All Need Right Now And Why appeared first on Emily Henderson.


Sofa giá rẻ
https://sofagiarehcm.hatenablog.com
0975488488
981 Huỳnh Tấn Phát, P. Phú Thuận, Quận 7, TP Hồ Chí Minh
Sofa giá rẻ

Không có nhận xét nào:

Đăng nhận xét